Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Considering Types

Amy. "Box of Doughnuts" 02/27/2011 via
Wikimedia. Attribution 2.0 Generic License. 
Considering types of arguments is like considering types of doughnuts; just with less sprinkles and not as much deliciousness.

A positional argument would fit my argument well.  By focusing on what the pros are of genetic modification, it will balance out the negative aspects that are heavily reported as well as the fear that this topic is raising.  By taking a Utopian approach to this topic, I can present a side that seems to get overlooked because of fear.

A causal argument would do little for this topic.  Nobody would deny why people are afraid of this technology and nobody would not see how this technology could be beneficial.  The cause of the debate is if the pros outweigh the cons.  An evaluative argument would also be ineffective as little to no solutions to the debate have been proposed.

A proposal could be helpful.  I would have to decide on an exact idea that would further the progress of the debate.  Although beneficial, it would be difficult to form an argument that would get people on board.  A refutation argument would not be possible as there are no proposals to refute.


Reflection:

Allison Perger and Jovanka Potkonjak both seem to have a very good idea of what they want to say and what they want their audience to take away.  From this, they are able to pinpoint an effective argument type.  I feel that I am lacking in knowing what exactly I want to accomplish with my article.  I will need to spend some more time considering what reactions I want to cause before I can nail down my type of argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment